Top 10 Ab Exercises to Get Killer Abs
If you’re an ab enthusiast, then you’ve probably heard the phrase that abs are made in the kitchen. While this is partially true, you also need to perform some ab workouts so that when the fat layer on your tummy gets removed, the underlying abdominal muscles show as sexy 6-packs!
With a consistent workout routine, willpower, and healthy eating habits, you can get your 6-pack in no time!
Below, we’ve listed the best ab exercises to get killer abs in no time. Furthermore, all of these exercises can be done at home without the use of any equipment. So keep reading to find out more!
This is probably one of the most widely known ways of working your abdominal muscles. The best thing about a plank is that it can be done anytime, anywhere, provided you have enough space to perform it. You can even perform it inside your office during your lunch break, if you have enough privacy, of course.
To perform a plank, lay on all four limbs, such that your elbow joint, forearm and toes are the only parts of your body touching the floor. Make sure that your elbow is directly beneath your shoulder and forms an angle of 90 degrees at the elbow joint, as shown in the picture below.
You’ve most probably heard of sit-ups already by now because they’re such a common form of exercise and work great to build abs.
To perform sit-ups, lie down flat on your back, with your hips and knees flexed. Now, keeping the hips and knees fixed, put yourself up by putting your hands behind your head, as shown in the picture below. Repeat this exercise a few times till you feel the burn in your abdominal muscles!
These are relatively easier to perform than the two exercises listed above because they involve your core and mainly the lower part of your body instead of the upper part or whole body. Flutter kicks are effective for building abdominal muscles.
To perform flutter kicks, lie down flat on your back. Make sure your arms are also touching the ground, just beside your body, at all times. Now, raise both of your legs above the ground. Next, take one leg higher and then take the other leg higher. Keep doing this until you feel the burn in your abdominal muscles. Make sure to keep your back and arms on the ground at all times, because the workout won’t really be that effective otherwise.
These are another variant of the famous crunches that are used to primarily strengthen abdominal muscles. Bicycle crunches greatly help build your rectus abdominis muscle, which is the vertical muscle that basically forms the 6-pack seen in well-trained muscular bodies.
To perform bicycle crunches, follow the instructions below:
- Lie down flat on your back.
- After that, bring your legs up into the air, and start swinging them like you would while riding a bicycle.
- Next, bring up your head and shoulders with your hands at the back of your head.
- After that, twist onto one side, and bring the leg of that side close to your elbow, as shown in the picture below.
- Repeat this on the other side.
- Keep doing this until you can feel the burn in your abdominal muscles.
The name Russian Twists itself suggests that this exercise involves a bit of twisting, which is great for the external and internal oblique muscles of your side, as well as your other abdominal muscles. To perform Russian twists, follow the instructions below:
- Sit on the ground with your legs forward.
- Next, bend your hips and your knees so that your legs are in the air and your thigh forms a 90 degree angle with your legs.
- Hold this position with the legs.
- Next, bend your body a bit outward, in order to stabilize yourself in that position.
- Take any item in your hand and move it from side to side while moving your abdomen, as shown below.
- Repeat until you can feel the burn in your abdominal muscles.
These were some of the most effective ab exercises to get killer abs! what’s great about these exercises is that they barely take any time to perform and don’t require any equipment, which means you can perform them from the comfort of your home as well!