Top Yoga Exercises for Plus-Sized Women
Yoga isn’t bodily movements and postures, but it’s a way of life, and it’s for everyone! Whether you’re overweight, obese or old, you can still perform yoga! Unfortunately, many people out there hold the belief that yoga is only for those who have a flexible body or those who are already fit. This is a common misconception out there and we’re here to clear those misconceptions by informing you about the top yoga poses/exercises for plus-sized women! So, keep reading to find out the best postures for your body if your weight is above normal. After all, everyone deserves a peaceful escape from their stressful lives in the form of yoga!
Being plus-sized does not mean you can’t perform yoga, it just means that you have to modify yoga poses to suit your body type so that none of your joints have to bear too much weight at once. In the beginning, try to perform light yoga poses every day, and then go for the more moderate ones when your body has been accommodated to the light poses.
The Tree Pose
This pose is a bit challenging but you can master it once you do some practice.
To perform this pose, follow these instructions:
- First of all, you need to stand with your back straight and keep your legs slightly apart so that each foot is directly beneath each shoulder.
- Next, bring your hands together in the middle so that the palms and the inner sides of the fingers touch each other.
- After that, bring up one foot so that its bottom surface touches the medial side of your thighs, as shown in the photo below.
- Maintain this position for a minute or two.
Once you start practicing this position, you’ll be able to maintain it for longer! Remember to keep your back straight while maintaining this posture.
The Meditation Pose
This is the easiest yoga pose that there is, and it’s also one of the most widely known yoga poses. In fact, you’ve probably tried it at some moment of life yourself! It’s that common and popular. It’s also the pose that has been associated with meditation and is the front image of the whole meditation process!
To get in the meditation pose, follow the steps below.
- Cross your legs. There’s no specific way to cross your legs for this, do it in whatever way you can. Make sure your legs are comfortable and aren’t hurting. Also, make sure there’s not too much pressure on your joints.
- Next, place your palms and fingers together in the median plane.
- After that, take a few deep breaths in and out. Feel the air inside your body as it enters and leaves and reaches a state of peace and relaxation.
Make sure that you keep your back straight during the entire time as a slouched back can lead to backache and other problems!
The Cat Pose
This is yet another pose that you can easily do in the comfort of your home.
Follow the instructions below to get into this pose:
- Put your hands on the ground and get on your knees as well as hands, just like a cat does. You need to make sure that the angle that your knee is making is 90 degrees.
- Next, curl your spine so that it arches upwards. Do this while breathing out.
- While breathing in, curl your spine so that it arches downwards!
This pose is great for your spine. It helps to relax your spine and reduces any undue pressure on it. The curling of the spine back and forth can also help relieve chronic back pain. Therefore, this pose is a very useful one for those trying to eliminate or prevent back pain.
So, what are you waiting for? Try the poses listed above and see how great they make you feel! If you’re plus-sized and you’ve always stayed away from yoga because you thought you weren’t flexible or fit enough, then now is your time! Perform these poses and see how they help you reach a peaceful state of mind.
At first, you may find it difficult to perform some of the poses but once you start performing yoga regularly, you’ll notice that you can get in those poses with much greater ease over time! Get it out of your mind that yoga is just for those with a flexible body and just start away!