Cardio Exercises to Do at Home
You do not require expensive equipment, such as an elliptical trainer or treadmill for a good cardio workout. With some innovative ideas, you can easily plan your fitness routine with a wide variety of effective cardio exercises that will help you lose weight, burn calories, rev up your metabolism and tone muscles. Following is the list of some cardio exercises that you can do at your home in low budget and with ease.
It is a classic cardiovascular exercise that aids to burn a good amount of calories. In addition, it tones your outer and inner thighs, deltoids, quadriceps, and laterals. The best thing about this cardio exercise is that in just 10 minutes it burns about 100 calories and no special skills or equipment are required. All you need to have is a conditioned heart and a good pair of shoes. Keep your stomach in while doing this exercise to tone your lower abs as well.
Ways to workout using jumping jacks:
- Regular Workout: While doing regular strength or cardio workout, you can include a high intensity blast to it by adding jumping jacks for a minute at the end or throughout the workout.
- In a Strength Circuit: You can also alternate 1 minute of jumping jacks with different strength exercises such as dips, pushups, lunges, and squats for 10-30 minutes.
Burpees is basically squatting to the floor, while you jump the feet to a plank position, standing up and jumping back in. It is said to be a killer exercise as it burns up to100 or more calories in 10minutes. For burpees, you require a good pair of shoes, as well as experience with high intensity exercise.
Jogging in Place
Jogging is an amazing way to warm up for intense exercise. Besides, it gets your heart rate up. The only requirement for jogging is a good pair of shoes. You should first start by marching in place. After this, change that to a jog slowly. In this way, you can prepare your body for more vigorous exercise.
High Knee March
This is a quite effective, yet simple form of cardio. This exercise drains your energy as well as help you to have a toned core and butt. The endurance levels are also improved while bestowing toned abs, hips, and thighs. Do this exercise for 1 minute and then feel the energy draining out of your body.
Jumping rope is all about repeatedly turning a rope with handles while you are jumping over it. This is a great cardio exercise as it burns around 220 calories in just 15 to 20 minutes. Jumping ropes require no special skills, it is inexpensive and you can use them anywhere you have space. For this exercise, you need practice, patience, a good pair of shoes and jump rope. You should first start by marching in place. After this, change that to a jog slowly. In this way, you can prepare your body for more vigorous exercise.
- Precautions: It may look easy to do this exercise, but jumping rope requires practice as it is a high impact exercise. Therefore, beginners may find it difficult in the beginning. Do not use arms to turn the rope, instead, use your wrists and land softly for best results.
Kickboxing includes kicking and punching against a bag or in the air. In just 10 minutes, this exercise can burn more than 100 calories. However, it should be done in the right intensity.
Skater squat is one of the best cardio exercises for a slimmer body. This is because it not only burns the calories but also involves the toning of core muscles. Moreover, the quads, deltoids, lower back, calves, and glutes also get toned up in the process. In a nutshell, it is a whole body toning exercise.
How to do it:
- Stand straight, head and spine should be erect. Allow your arms to rest beside your body while keeping your feet together.
- Extend your left arm to the back side, and jump to your left.
- At the same time, bring your right hand towards your chin.
- While you raise your right leg backward, make sure to place your left foot on the floor.
- Squat instantly and swiftly.
- Repeat the same steps with the other side.
- Continue the exercise, changing sides fluidly and swiftly.
To start with, do 2 sets of 30 reps each, increasing your reps to 100 gradually.